I listened to an interview with Tori Amos where the interviewer said you are an old soul… it feels like you have come back so many times.
I find that it is obviously true.
It may or may not be true in terms of conventional reincarnation. That is more a question for science. In any case, it is new human being each time, so if we identify ourselves as this human self with its peculiarities and inclinations, then what we take ourselves to be is gone at death. And what we really are is not the human self nor the soul part if there is one. (What we are is much simpler and more obvious: All content of experience, and that which it happens within and as.)
But it is true in a simple, practical, and immediate way. It is true that she has come back many times – to what is here now and to stories about her life, and explored it over and over, and that is where the wisdom comes from.
The quickest way I have found to uncover the wisdom that is already here, is through The Work. I come back to the stories I take as true and find what is more honest for me. Over and over.
- feel like you have come back so many times
- yes, bring attention back many times (like to keep it practical, simple, immediate)
- come back many times to beliefs, investigate, find what is more honest
- then does often appear as wisdom, gradually find our own wisdom (notice the wisdom already here)
- (conventional reincarnation, a projection of what is here now – especially clear in this case, may be something more, but that is a question mostly for science)
The way it is obviously true, is that she has come back many times to what is here now and to stories, with curiosity and receptivity. She has brought attention back to stories about her life, over and over, to investigate and find what is more honest.
No matter whether there is one life or many, this is how wisdom and insight emerges.