If we are willing to take an unbiased look, we will find that, in spite of all of our problems and confusion, all our emotional and psychological ups and downs, there is something basically good about our existence as human beings… Every human being has a basic nature of goodness, which is undiluted and unconfused. That goodness contains tremendous gentleness and appreciation.
Chögyam Trungpa, The Sacred Path of the Warrior
Why do I resist experience? Why do I go into beliefs? Why is there identification with that sense of I?
I find it is because of a basic lack of trust in existence. A basic belief that existence cannot be trusted, and this human self cannot be trusted. So I need to take charge. I need to resist certain experiences. I need to take refuge in beliefs to find safety. There has to be identification with this sense of I to make sure it does what needs to be done. It cannot be trusted to function on its own.
For me, two ways of exploring this more fully draw my interest right now.
I explore resistance in immediacy. What happens when I resist experience? What happens when I allow experience as is? When I open my heart to it?
And I explore stories through The Work. What happens when I believe the thought? Who would I be without it? Can I open my mind to the reversals and find the truth in those as well? How would it be to live from the most juicy turnaround?
Through what I find in my own experience, through what is revealed as more honest, true and kind, I gradually find more trust in myself and existence.
As there is a more honest exploration, seeing and feeling into it, taking time with it, allowing this human self to reorganize and realign, there is a gradually deepening gut and felt sense of trust.
And there is a also a genuine appreciation for this human self and existence, as it is. There are no mistakes.
- basic goodness
- explore here now
- what happens when allow experience (including emotions, pain, resistance, impulses to change, sense of I etc.)
- what happens when resist (identify w. resistance, the viewpoint of resistance)
- explore w/in stories
- the work
- open the mind to a variety of viewpoints
- feel it, take it in
- live from the most juicy turnaround
- resistance, beliefs, identification as an I
- all from lack of trust in oneself/existence
- so can explore, see what find
- gradually find more trust, through own experience, what is revealed as more honest, more true, more kind
- explore here now
– head, seeing, guiding attention/exploration
– belly, gut/felt sense of trust
– heart, warmth, genuine appreciation