Here are some ways I can make sure I suffer.
Argue with reality. Tell myself something is wrong, bad, shouldn’t be.
Ignore, reject, and battle my own experiences. My emotions, physical pain, thoughts.
Treat myself harshly. Tell myself I am doing it wrong.
Get absorbed in thinking. Taking it as real and solid, and saying something true about life and the world.
Interpret what’s happening in my life, and what others say and do, in the most painful way possible.
Avoid resting with and feeling what’s here. Go into thought instead. Analyze. Ruminate. Blame.
Eat foods that doesn’t work for me.
Stay physically inactive. Ignore the needs and messages from my body.
Avoid nature. Avoid silence. Avoid animals.
Blame others. Put the blame on my own unhappiness or discomfort on people in my life, and groups in society.
Find others who do the same. Make them my company. Or isolate myself.
Spend a lot of time doing this. Make it a daily habit.
It can be helpful to make or look at these types of “how to suffer” instructions. It brings these dynamics into sharp relief, and shows me what’s happening when I am doing this to myself.
– how to suffer
– argue with reality
– ignore, reject, battle my own experiences (emotions, thoughts, physical pain etc.)
– get absorbed in thinking, taking it as real and solid and saying something true about the world
– eat sugars, refined foods, foods that doesn’t work for me
– blame others, put the blame for my own unhappiness/discomfort on people in my life and groups in society
– spend a lot of time doing all of this, make it a daily habit