When I experience discomfort, and especially if it’s strong, here are some ways I sometimes avoid meeting it:
Connecting with friends and family.
Talking about what’s happening with someone.
Internet. Videos. News. Reading.
Nature. Walking. Photography.
Inquiry. Vortex Healing. Other forms of healing modalities that I hope will reduce the suffering.
If it’s especially strong: Readings, I Ching. (To feel I know about the future.)
And longer term:
Relationships. Education. Work. Stable situation.
There is nothing wrong with any of these. Many of them are very helpful and just part of a human life. But they can be used in a compulsive way to avoid being with what’s here, to avoid feeling the uncomfortable sensations. A good way to do it is to (a) notice what’s happening. (Uncomfortable feelings/thoughts + wish to avoid.) (b) Take time to rest with and feel the uncomfortable sensations. (For a while, for instance until how I relate to it shifts and then a little longer.) And (c) then do any of these other things if the wish is still there.
- how I escape being with what’s here
- connecting with other people, talking, being with
- relationships, find safety, love, companionship
- internet, videos, news, reading
- nature, walking, photography
- inquiry, healing, readings, i ching (get info about future)
- nothing wrong with these, and many of them are generally very helpfull, but they can be used in a compulsive way to avoid being with what’s here, avoid feeling uncomfortable sensations