How would I like to be met when I am distressed? With kindness, patience, and presence. Listened to. Given full permission to be exactly as I am in the moment.
And that’s how the distressed parts of me want to be treated by me as well.
If they are treated with avoidance, disrespect, and wanting it to change, it only reinforces the struggle and suffering.
If they are met with kindness, patience, presence, then they tend to relax and soften.
These distressed parts of my experience are just like me. They want to be treated as I would like to be treated when I am in distress.
- when I am distressed, how would I like to be treated?
- with presence, kindness, listening, respect, patience
- and that’s how my experience would like to be treated by me as well
- especially the distressed experience, pain, discomfort etc.
- if treated with avoidance, disrespect, wanting to change it etc. then only reinforces the struggle and suffering
- if meet with kindness, patience, respect, presence, then tend to relax, soften