Does The Work of Byron Katie only work at the thought level?
That’s one of the concerns I have heard from people new to The Work, and it was one of my initial concerns as well.
In my experience, The Work can go very deep and can be life-changing. Especially when I follow the simple instructions and I am facilitated by someone trained in and experienced with The Work. When I stay with the situation, get close, use some of the subquestions (for number 3), feel what’s happening in my body, go back in time to my earliest experiences with the stressful thought, and also look at my scary images of the future. When I am still, get close, and take time to find genuine examples for each turnaround. And when I select a juicy living turnaround and bring it into and apply it in my daily life.
In addition to the obvious cognitive shifts, I often feel energetic and emotional shifts when I do The Work, and I do notice how my life changes when I bring the living turnarounds into my daily life.
The Work can be “just” a cognitive exercise if we take it that way, and it often stays at that level if we don’t follow the simple instructions or don’t have a skilled and experienced facilitator. And it can be profoundly life transforming if we do.
- Does The Work (of BK) only work at the thought level?
- one of the concerns I have heard from people who only have a superficial experience with/understanding of TW
- can go very deep, be life-changing, when
followthe simple instructions, facilitated by someone experienced
- stay with the situation, get close, use subquestions, feel what’s happening in the body, go back in time + future images,
- when actively use the living TAs in daily life, bring it into daily life